SEND & Local Offer
SEND Support at OLMC
At Our Lady of Mount Carmel RC Primary School, we recognise that all pupils are entitled to a quality of provision that will enable them to achieve their potential. We believe in positive intervention, removing barriers to learning, raising expectations and levels of achievement, and working in partnership with other agencies in order to provide a positive educational experience for all our pupils, including those with a special educational need or disability.
Our school recognises there are particular groups of pupils whose circumstances require additional consideration by those who work with them to support their SEN.
At our school, the SENCO ensures all teachers in school understand the implications for those children who have SEN. We ensure that all pupils, regardless of their specific needs make the best possible progress.
There are now four broad areas of SEND, these are:
- Communication and Interaction
This area of need includes children with Autism Spectrum Condition and those with Speech, Language and Communication Needs
- Cognition and Learning
This includes children with Specific Learning Difficulties, Moderate Learning Difficulties, Severe Learning Difficulties and Profound and Multiple Learning Difficulties
- Social, Emotional and Mental Health Difficulties
This includes any pupils who have an emotional, social or mental health need that is impacting on their ability to learn
- Sensory and/or Physical Difficulties
This area includes children with hearing impairment, visual impairment, multi-sensory impairment and physical difficulties
Further information can be found below
If you would like to discuss your SEND requirements in detail please contact the school to arrange an appointment
Local Authorities (LA) and schools are required to publish and keep under review information about services they expect to be available for children and young people with special educational needs (SEN) aged 0-25. This is called the ‘Local Offer’.
The intention of the Local Offer is to improve choice for families and will also be an important resource for parents in understanding the range of services and provision in the local area.
Our Local Offer can be accessed here.
Help For You
- Our Local Offer informs parents, who have a child with special educational needs or disabilities, of the support and provision that they can expect from our school.
- Our Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENDCo) is Mrs J Bostock and can be contacted through the school office. Mrs Bostock and Mrs Spence co-ordinate the support and provision for all children across the school who have special educational needs or disabilities.
- The SENDCo is supported in her role by Mrs Spence.
- We have two SEN support workers, who work on a one-to-one basis with children.
- Our teaching assistants work with small groups of children to deliver a range of intervention programmes. They work closely with the class teachers to ensure the correct provision is in place.
Outside Agency Support
The school works closely with outside agencies who offer us advice and children may receive extra support if they meet the specified criteria. The key agencies are:
- SALT – Speech and Language Therapist.
- CLASS – Communication, Language and Autistic Spectrum Support.
- BLIS – Behavioural for Learning and Inclusion Service.
- SpLDATS – Specific Learning Difficulties Advisory Teacher Service
- EMAT – Equality, Multicultural and access team.
- CAMHS – Child and Adult Mental Health Service.
- Early Help – A team to support the whole family.
- Hearing Impaired Team.
- Visually Impaired Team.
- Educational Psychologist – To observe and assess children whose needs have not responded to the interventions put in place for them.
- School Nurse
SEND Contact Information
If you have any questions whatsoever relating to this SEND provision, please feel free to contact the school office or the following specialist staff:
- SENDCo – Mrs J Bostock
- Headteacher – Mrs Helen Hayes
- SENDCo Support – Mrs Spence
More information regarding SEND at OLMC can be found in our SEND Policy: